8.16.2006

Change of direction...

My dear, Bingo-loving friend Bill (who, by the way, is NOT an 80 year old Puerto Rican man) sent me the following picture:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was transported back to my days as a child, sitting in the dentist chair and staring up at a similar image that read, "Just hang in there!" Somehow that poster, which I find mildly disturbing, didn't easy the pain of having my teeth scraped with a sharp metal object. Quite frankly, I'm not sure an epidural coupled with a bottle of Jack Daniels and some Roofies would do the trick for me, but that's neither here nor there.

The point is, I was going to draft this clever article about these posters so I began to do a bit of research on Google. (I HEART Google.)

It seems like the clever "Hang in There" poster-makers prefer cats. At least cats were the primary animals in the bulk of the images resulting from my query. I give you exhibits A, B and C:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Some rebellious poster-makers branched out to other animals. A frog, per se:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A raccoon - somewhat cat-like but more wild:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And then I came across this picture:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Mmmm hmmm...right. I suppose I can make some assumptions about why this photo may have popped up when I searched "Just Hang In There Poster." I mean, I don't want to make those assumptions and it makes me feel a little dirty doing so, but I will for the sake of journalistic integrity.

This is one of the reasons I love the internet. It sparks an endless train of ideas - of inspiration. From a cute kitten, to a mullet sporting redneck with an itch.

THIS is what America is all about, my friends. This is what the Founding Fathers fought to protect. God bless America. God bless us, every one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google